Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Just Desserts

Ok, so I missed a week. Sorry about that. I feel like I owe myself an apology because I had a goal to post at least once a week.

Since my last post I have visited the Happiest Place on Earth. There was a trip planned, but because of Becky's surgery, we weren't sure if we could go. We went. It was fun. Our 2nd day there, Becky rented an electric cart. All that walking on the day before took it's toll. So she zoomed off in her cart down Main Street, quite literally leaving us in the dust, seemingly unaware that we were not jogging to keep up with her. When we finally got her to stop, she lowered the speed on the cart and that seemed to work better. The advantage of the cart was that she didn't have to walk so much...so we thought! The REAL advantage was something that we hadn't even considered...when one of the party is in a cart or wheelchair, the entire party gets to avoid the lines and go right to the "jumping off point". Kinda fun, for the first few rides. Then we even became impatient with that...Why are we waiting so long? Can't they see we have a person in a cart? Is this discrimination towards cart people? There is also some pressure to not look too happy that you have a cart person in your party. It would just not be right to be so happy about someone with a disability, would it? That night Sarah, Sadee and I wanted to go on the Matterhorn, but how to do it without a cart person? A-ha...switch places with the cart person. So I did, and I found that the crowd seemed to part in front of me. We did have to go through part of the line, but not the last snaking part. The whole time I was in line, I started to panic that they were going to ask me why I was in the cart...what if my reason for being in the cart was severe enough to keep me off the ride? The whole "blue", must-explain-everything part of my personality was bubbling to the surface! Panic. Uhh, I have a bad knee? I have a bad back? I have a sore throat? I just had surgery? I'm lazy and didn't want to wait in line? Sarah finally convinced me that I didn't have to give any explanation, so I did my best to keep my mouth shut and not smile because I didn't have to wait in line. I dutifully hobbled over to the little Matterhorn car and stepped in, buckled up and held on. Within the first couple of jerks of the ride, I realized 2 things: 1) I didn't really like this ride at night, and 2) I think the jerking has wrenched my back. Good thing I have an electric cart!

3 comments:

Lara said...

I like your description of being cart people, so funny. I think even cart people can be happy at the happiest place on earth.

Anonymous said...

OMG! You make me laugh so hard!! this takes me back to 10 yrs ago when I took my kids to Disneyland with my ex's family. Heather (who's handicaped) was in a wheelchair and we had the same experience! All the adults wanted to go back at night while mimi watched the kids, and we wanted to have the wheelchair so we could get on all the rides with no lines too! I was the dupe who pretended to have a sprained ankle. I even had an ace bandage!! Except we went on Space Mountain and it was well worth it!!!
Love ya!

Sarah W. said...

I hate using this expression, but I totally LOL'd. You tell it so well. I wanted to ask about the title. Is it describing what we like to do when we are at Disneyland?....eat "just desserts." All I can think about are Churros and ice cream sandwiches. MMMMMmmmm