Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Cyst Assistance

I have to say that time flys by soooo quickly when you try to record things. I've always been terrible at keeping a journal. There will be no way to ever write my biography because there are no records. All my stories will go with me...when I go. Maybe that's a good thing?

Yesterday I had 2 Dr's appointments: One with a urologist, a follow-up on the little kidney issue I had last year (the kidney isn't little, the issue was little). A year ago I got a pain early on a Sunday morning that wouldn't go away. Finally I agreed to go to the ER since I had started to vomit (lovely). I knew that was not a good sign. At the ER, the first order of business was to start an IV - not so fun. After a few attempts, they finally found a vein and started to give me the pain medicine. They gave me 3 different kinds before I felt like I could finally lie down on the bed and relax a little. I had some tests - CT scan and whatever - and initially they said I had a "growth" on my kidney which kinda freaked me out a little. All I could think was "kidney tumor". Zack and my home teacher gave me a blessing. I was in the hospital for 3 days, for no good reason. The urologist determined that I have a cyst on my kidney that had blocked the drainage, or something, which caused the pain. He said there was no reason to remove it as long as it wasn't causing any trouble. Honestly? The pain went away on Sunday night and never came back. It was a mystery to me - I wasn't sure what happened to make it go away. But then one of my friends looked at me like I was stupid (I was), and said, "Hmmmm, didn't you have a blessing?". Oh, duh. So, that's how it works! My arm looked terrible from all the iv's, and I was able to go home after they determined that my kidney's did indeed function. So the appointment yesterday was to give me the results of the follow-up CT scan I had a week ago. No change in the size of the cyst, and absolutely no problems for a year. Everyone was happy, but mostly me.

After that appointment, I had the pleasure of my annual mammygram. Yes, it's a pleasure. I was also blessed with an ultrasound of my left chestal region. Guess what I have? Yup, cysts. I have cysts throughout my body, I guess. There are also a couple of little areas that they are watching, but again, no change in them, so good news all around. After being adjusted, squished, mushed and inspected, I went home with all the dignity I could muster. I don't think anyone could tell by looking at me what I had just experienced, even though I felt like announcing to everyone in the waiting room, "I'M CLEAN!".

4 comments:

Lara said...

I'm glad everything is ok with your tests. It sounded like it was a good time. Do you like your blog?

Anonymous said...

Thank goodness everything thing is ok. I now know the worry of it all after my experience this summer. Have a great thanksgiving!

Melinda Palmer said...

Hooray for cleanliness!! I'm glad all is well. So...BS'08 is fast approaching!! Excited??

Ashley Lamb said...

Hi Judy! Stan showed me your blog...I just wanted to write and say thank you to you and your family for having me over for Thanksgiving. I had a great time and felt so at home. It's hard spending holidays away from family, but your family did a great job in filling that void. I hope to see you again! :)