Monday, December 1, 2008

Giving Thanks

I am back to work after enjoying the last 4.5 days "off". Our Thanksgiving dinner included most of the family this year, except for Ben and Caitlin who were up with Ben's family in Camp Verde, and the Tramundanas kids. Kathy and Victor stayed in Utah and made dinner up there, and Andy hosted Thanksgiving for his side of the family. It's always fun to have a house full of people. I love the moment when you get that first whiff of cooking turkey. Yummmmm. Jeanette made rolls with help from Emma and Sadee. Sarah made a beautiful raspberry jello salad, Stan brought corn, Alisha made some cheesecake pies and Jennifer made a lemon meringue pie. Other offerings: Mom made cranberry sauce, Zack made his traditional hot pickles (which I hear are very nummy, but I cannot eat them), Jeff used his muscle to mash the potatoes, then carve the turkey, and Becky and I continued our sweet potato war. I never really liked sweet potatoes until I saw Aunt Sadie cook them with brown sugar and butter, kinda chunky and really nummy. Becky liked that recipe, too, until she discovered cinnamon! Now she makes them like baby food - bake the sweet potatoes, peel, mash, and add all the other flavors. I am not a fan, but that's ok. She loves them, and so does everyone else. A couple of years ago, she was making the sweet potatoes. I assumed she would make them the "normal" way. I love the combination of a little bit of stuffing with sweet potatoes. I was horrified when I realized that instead she made the baby food style, almost completely pureed and flavored with cinnamon! I just about left the table, I was so disappointed. Since then, we have served 2 different bowls, cooked 2 different ways, and after a week, we usually have 2 different piles of yuck to throw away. We just can't seem to get the proportion right. Leftovers always sound sooo good BEFORE Thanksgiving.

Later that evening we enjoyed a wonderful rain storm and we even got some hail. It was like 45 minutes of winter, so we quickly got out the hot chocolate and marshmallows. I think it was an enjoyable day for everyone.

Friday and Saturday were days of doing nothing - for me. I crocheted and watched TV. I'm trying to get a new blankie finished for Sarah Ritchie. She loved her old one to death. Soon, very soon! Sunday - prepare myself for the marathon that is Primary. We found out that in 2 weeks our meeting time is changing to 8:30am! That's the best news I've heard in a long time! It is a really early time for families to get ready, but it's seems to be so much easier on the children. Afternoons from 3-5 pm is not a good time for Primary. We'll be home by 11:35, with the rest of the day to be productive. Or something like that.

We will be decorating our Christmas tree this evening, I hope. Should have done it this weekend when there was "nothing" to do. I love to have the house decorated for Christmas!

I'm off to Canada a week from tomorrow night for our annual BS trip, and just so you don't go "there", BS stands for Banff Springs. I get a little taste of Winter right before Christmas and I get to visit with some of my favorite people in the world! Have I mentioned before that I also look forward to breakfast at Eau Claire, and somewhere in there, lunch/dinner at Peking Garden? I know for a fact that there are some Canadians who look forward to Cafe Rio in Utah (we have one in Arizona, too), and In-n-Out Burger here in Arizona. So I guess it goes both ways. But we have something Calgary doesn't have....Baskin Robbins ice cream! I think I can be brave for a few days and live without the BR.

I'd also like to give thanks to Lara for updating my blog background. Sometimes a change is nice! Signing off....

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Hey, Jude. What fun to read about your Thanksgiving. I am with you--Grandmother's sweet potatoes are the way to go. Every year Rachel (Spencer's wife) brings the whipped kind with marshmellows(??!!) on top. It's a big joke because true Macdonald's won't touch that kind. The first year John (my hubby) had Thanksgiving dinner with my family he got a big scoopful of Rachel's stuff. I looked at him scornfull and said something like "You can't eat that, you traitor". He ate it anyway and said it tasted like pie. Well, ours tastes like heaven.