Sunday, March 1, 2009

By the way...

My new calling at church is 1st Counselor in the Stake Primary! It's been very fun the last few weeks...I jumped right into Pinewood Derby, then Little Philmont. Scouting...it's a whole other religion. So the interesting events that led to this new calling...

Ever since I became the Primary Chorister in our ward, I have had a little struggle. I felt like I just couldn't get the "hook" into the calling. I can lead music, and I can teach a song to the older kids, but I felt like I was really struggling with the younger kids. How do I teach a song to kids who cannot read? And I would worry/fret/plan/stress all week about what to do on Sunday? Several times I remembered that I hadn't been "set apart" yet, and thought maybe that was what I needed...but I never managed to get that done. Sundays were exhausting for me..ok, I exaggerate, but it's 2 hours of being "on", and when that last closing prayer was said, I was so relieved. Let me say, I was truly learning to love the children, knowing their personalities, and seeing that they were so happy when I would make eye contact with them. Sometimes I wink, and they would smile and wink back. One little Sunbeam girl would draw pictures for me in Sacrament Meeting and give them to me in Primary. So sweet.

A few weeks ago, I didn't sleep very well on Saturday night, and when it was time to get up on Sunday morning, the first thought in my head was: should I get a substitute and just not go? But then I started to think of all the arrangements that would need to be made, who would I call, and I thought it's just easier if I get up and go. So I did. When Primary was over, I was chatting with the pianist when I realized that the 1st Couns in the Stake Pres was sitting there on the first row looking at us. Did you want to talk to her, I said (pointing at the pianist)? No, he said. Did you need to speak with her, I said (pointing to someone else in the room)? No, he said. I need to speak with you. Ok, says I...gulp. (Good thing I decided to show up today!) Please, oh, please, oh, please don't let it be about camp! We found a little room and sat down. Says he: how's your job? Good, fine. How's your calling? Harder than I thought blah blah blah. How's your health? (Oh no, hear comes the part about camp!) Uh, my health is good? Well, says he, we'd like to call you to be...etc. Ohhhhhh?! Really? says I. Him: Do you think you can do that? Me: Of course. Now what does the 1st C do? Him: Well the 2nd C does all the Cub Scouting stuff.... Me: That's all I need to know.

So we shook hands and I walked out of there a little befuddled, as I recalled the last few months. I had attended my first ever Article of Faith reception, Great to be 8 meeting, and focused on the Primary program, knowing that I would be doing the music next year. And I remembered that I just couldn't get the "hook" into that calling. So, MY feeling is that my time as a chorister was to give me a little exposure to some of the things I would be working with on a Stake level. The Counselor told me they had been trying to get me since last Fall, had delays, then I lost my job, and they waited over a month to make sure I landed on my feet. When we had Ward Conference and I saw the Stake Prim Pres (who is also a friend) she asked me how my job was going, and I told her I was back at work. Two weeks later ...kaboom! I have a new calling. Anyway, it's just interesting how all the pieces fell into place. I feel so energized,learning new things. No meetings this week. First time in 3 weeks! Yup, loving the new stuff!

See another new post below...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to see that you handled it well. !! I miss you. I can't imagine all the things running around in your head that you need to get out about life, church, work, etc... We need a lunch-date!

Caroline said...

Jude, the scouts are so foreign to me, but I'm soooo very excited for Johno to start in a year and a half. I am the secretary in the RS and am STILL trying to get the hang of it, but I know exactly why I'm there so hopefully I will do what I'm supposed to do. I want to come visit you all, I really do.

Melinda Palmer said...

Glad to hear about the new calling. It must be nice to have a bit of a break!